In 2010 Willow Run Airport handled over 200,000,000 lbs. of cargo, making it one of the nation's largest airports for landed air freight flown by exclusively cargo aircraft. Willow Run Airport-based carriers transport a wide range of cargo, including high-value automotive and electronic components, emergency medical supplies, mail and packages. As a result, there are many opportunities available at Willow Run Airport. Please click the links below to learn more about these opportunities.
Doing Business With Willow Run and/or Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airports
Informational-Constructability Meeting - Upcoming Airfield Reconstruction Projects, September 14, 2010
Development Opportunities At Willow Run Airport
Perhaps the most attractive feature about Willow Run Airport is its location. It borders on Wayne and Washtenaw Counties and enjoys relationships with both. It is supported by a strong infrastructure of freeways: I-94, US 23, I-275, and I-75. Willow Run is within 500 miles of major markets such as New York, Philadelphia, Washington D.C., Chicago, Cincinnati, and Toronto. Willow Run also lies along the Canada - Mexico trading corridor. Easy access to rail, water, and ground transportation makes Willow Run the convenient choice.
Room for Growth
Click map for enlarged view.
Willow Run Airport Development Areas
Click here to view a detailed map of the Willow Run Airport Development Areas.
Willow Run Airport occupies a 2,600-acre site along the Detroit - Ann Arbor high tech and manufacturing corridor. Willow Run Airport controls 350 acres of undeveloped land on the north side of the airport. Approximately 300 acres of this land is suitable for development and is bordered on the north by the Norfolk Southern Railroad. The airport is exploring opportunities with developers to develop this land as an airport industrial park.
Willow Run has a multimillion-dollar Capital Improvement Program underway. The Program includes improvements to taxiways, hangers, the general aviation terminal, and maintenance facilities. Some of the completed projects include:
- New air-field signage
- New taxi-way
- New fuel farm
- 14/32 repaving
- Upgrade of electrical substations
- Installation of emergency generator
- 100 new T-Hangars
Willow Run is an integral part of the Wayne County Airport Authority's strategy to develop a "System of Airports." Linked by I-94, Willow Run and Detroit Metropolitan Airports sit at opposite ends of 25,000 acres of undeveloped land.
This presents an ideal opportunity to create a major commercial corridor - call it an industrial mall, with Detroit Metropolitan and Willow Run as anchor tenants at either end. The mall would be filled with warehouses, distribution centers, and light industrial facilities which would benefit from close proximity to both airports.
What Willow Run Airport Offers You
Willow Run Airport has many strengths and advantages over other airports in the area. Some of these include:
Four runways, including ILS all-weather runway and cross wind runways
- 24-hour aircraft rescue fire fighting facilities
- On-site weather bureau service
- Tower Operations: 24-hour FAA tower operations; no restrictions non-directional beacon; instrument landing system VHF omni-directional range
- Extensive air cargo operations in place
- Abundant available land on and adjacent to the airfield
- Available hangar space
- Michigan Institute of Aviation and Technology
- Currently the home to several aircraft maintenance facilities providing all levels of aircraft maintenance from single engine general aviation aircraft to large commercial aircraft
- Snow removal
- 24-hour U.S. Customs service
- FAA Flight Standards District Office
- Competitive landing fees
- Eagle Flight Center - Flight Training School
- Newly upgraded runways, taxiways, and roadways.
- Much less congestion and air traffic than other area airports
- Excellent location with ready access to major corporations, educational institutions, freeways, waterways, and rail lines
- Avflight East and Active Aero Services offer self serve aircraft fuel, saving pilots up to 50 cents/gallon over more traditional fueling services
Contact Us Regarding Development Opportunities
In order to find out more about the exciting development opportunities that exist at Willow Run Airport, please contact:
Willow Run Airport
801 Willow Run Airport
Ypsilanti, Michigan 48198-0899
Administrative Office (734) 485-6666